Attendant care costs, including those paid to a nursing home, can be used as medical expense deductions on your tax return.

To claim these expenses:

  • You need to include a detailed statement of the nursing home costs.
  • Only the portion of your monthly bill used to pay attendant care salaries can be deducted.
  • You also need a completed Form T2201 from a qualified medical practitioner to claim attendant care costs.

Not all nursing home expenses can be claimed. Administrative costs and operating costs can’t be deducted. Most rent expenses can’t be claimed either, with the exception being any portion of the rent that goes to services that help a person with daily tasks, such as laundry and housekeeping.

Related Topics:

References & Resources