What is the TL2 tax form used for?
Who is eligible to claim those expenses?
You can claim a meal and lodging expense deduction if you:
- Work for an airline, railway, bus, or trucking company, including long-haul truck drivers
- Work for any other employer whose main business is transporting goods, passengers, or both
- Travel in vehicles that the employer uses to transport goods or passengers
- Regularly have to travel away from the municipality and the metropolitan area (if there is one) where your employer’s home terminal is located
- Regularly have meal and lodging expenses while travelling away from the municipality where the employer’s home terminal is located, meaning that you must generally be away from home overnight to do the job
How do I fill out the TL2 tax form?
You complete Parts 1 and 2 and get your employer to fill out Part 3:
- Part 1: Employee Information: you fill this part with your personal information.
- Part 2: Trip and Expenses Summary: list your trips by days and average hour per trip. List the meals and lodging expenses per trip. Check this link on how to claim your meals and lodging.
- Part 3: Employment Information: this section should be completed by your employer to approve your logs.
If you have expenses other than meals and lodging, you will need to fill the T777 form. Claim all the expenses on line 22900 of your Income Tax and Benefit Return. You expense as a driver cannot exceed your income from this employment.
TurboTax products offer an easy step-by-step guide to help you report the T2200 forms and fill out all related T777 and TL2 forms to get the maximum deductions you are eligible for. Consider TurboTax Live Assist & Review if you need further guidance, and get unlimited help and advice as you do your taxes, plus a final review before you file. Or, choose TurboTax Live Full Service* and have one of our tax experts do your return from start to finish.
*TurboTax Live™ Full Service is not available in Quebec.