Forms & Schedules

Schedule 11 Tax Form: Tuition & Education Amounts for your federal return

What is a CRA Schedule 11 tax form?

The Schedule 11 tax form is used by students to calculate their student tax deductions on their federal return. It helps them calculate tuition, education, and textbook amounts, the amount they can transfer to a family member, and any unused amount they may be able to carry forward to a future year.

What about unused amounts from a previous year?

If you have an unused amount from a previous year, it will appear on your Notice of Assessment and you can enter it on Schedule 11.

What do I need to claim tuition fees?

As a student in an educational institution in Canada, you receive an official tax receipt or the T2202A tax form document. If you were studying outside Canada, you got the TL11A or the TL11C tax form. If you were a student at a flying school or club, you have been given the TL11B tax form.

What about the education and the textbook amounts?

You will enter the number of months you were studying full-time or part-time and that will determine the amounts you are entitled to.

Is there a provincial schedule too?

Each province has its own S11 schedule. For example, Ontario’s is ON(S11). Québec uses, Schedule T. If you moved from one province to another, please consult guide P105 here to know which tax package to use.

For a copy of the form, please click here today.
Use our new Free Canadian Tax Software to help ensure you don’t miss any of the deductions or credits you deserve. It’s Easy, fast and 100% accurate, guaranteed. For more info on TurboTax Free, click here.