Tax Tip: Do Separated Persons in Canada File Separate Tax Returns?

Yes, separated persons file separate tax returns.


The Canada Revenue Agency considers you to be separated from your spouse or common-law partner if your relationship has ended, you have been living apart for at least 90 days and you have not reconciled.

You are required to notify the CRA of a change in your marital status promptly.

You might consider filing a return to claim any benefits or tax credits for which you may be eligible now that you are separated, even if you are not required to file a return.

References & Resources

Key Concepts

  • Separated couple status
  • Marital status taxes
  • Common-law partner separated