If you knew that Manitoba means “where the great spirit lives”, you might be from this great province in the heart of Canada!
Manitoba has a tax system similar to other Canadian provinces. Many of the Manitoba provincial taxes and credits compliment similar credits at the federal level, but there are some unique credits for residents of Manitoba.
Progressive Tax Rate Structure
Manitoba uses a progressive tax structure, with three tax rates. The tax brackets increase each year, based on inflation. Visit the government of Manitoba’s Personal Income Taxes page for this year’s tax bracket rates.
Manitoba’s Tax Brackets for Tax Year 2018
- 10.8%: $0 to $31,465
- 12.75%: $31,466 to $68,005
- 17.4%: Over $68,006
- Education Property Tax Credit: Renters and homeowners may qualify for a maximum of $700 in tax savings under this credit, intended to offset property taxes. The credit can only be claimed once per dwelling. Learn more.
- Primary Caregiver Tax Credit: Manitobans who act as primary caregiver for a family member or friend may be eligible for this refundable credit, up to$1,400. Note: This program requires pre-approval. Learn more.
- Green Energy Equipment Tax Credit: Homeowners who install a geothermal heat pump or solar thermal energy system may receive a credit and on certain capital costs. Learn more.
References & Resources:
Provincial tax brackets
- Alberta Tax Brackets
- British Columbia Tax Brackets
- Manitoba Tax Brackets
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tax Brackets
- New Brunswick Tax Brackets
- Northwest Territories Tax Brackets
- Nova Scotia Tax Brackets
- Nunavut Tax Brackets
- Ontario Tax Brackets
- Prince Edward Island Tax Brackets
- Québec Tax Brackets
- Saskatchewan Tax Brackets
- Yukon Tax Brackets