Did you know that roughly 95% of the population of Newfoundland and Labrador live on the island, and that about 60% live within the city of St. John’s? So, if you’re looking for some solitude, rural Newfoundland and Labrador might be for you!
Newfoundland and Labrador has a tax system similar to other Canadian provinces. Many of the provincial taxes and credits for residents of Newfoundland and Labrador compliment similar credits at the federal level, but there are some unique credits for residents of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Progressive Tax Rate Structure
As with most provinces, Newfoundland and Labrador uses a progressive tax structure.
The tax brackets increase each year, based on inflation. Visit the government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Personal Income Tax page for this year’s tax bracket rates.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s Tax Brackets for Tax Year 2019
- 8.7%: $0 – $37,591
- 14.5%: $37,592 – $75,181
- 15.8%: $75,182 – $134,224
- 17.3%: $134,225 – $187,913
- 18.3% – above $187,914
Newfoundland and Labrador Credits
- Newfoundland and Labrador Seniors Benefit: Residents 65 years of age at the end of the tax year qualify for this benefit. The benefit amount is based on your income. Learn more.
TurboTax has been serving Canadians since 1993. It is the #1 selling tax preparation software across the country. We have a variety of product options to serve every individual’s needs. Recently added a LIVE service to enable our customers to have access to tax experts at the tip of your fingers. Go ahead and give it a try! Easy to use with a choice of support options to assist you with all your taxation needs.
References & Resources:
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Credits, Incentives and Benefits
- Canada Revenue Agency: Newfoundland and Labrador
- PDF: Grant Thornton -Budget 2019 – Newfoundland & Labrador
Provincial tax brackets
- Alberta Tax Brackets
- British Columbia Tax Brackets
- Manitoba Tax Brackets
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tax Brackets
- New Brunswick Tax Brackets
- Northwest Territories Tax Brackets
- Nova Scotia Tax Brackets
- Nunavut Tax Brackets
- Ontario Tax Brackets
- Prince Edward Island Tax Brackets
- Québec Tax Brackets
- Saskatchewan Tax Brackets
- Yukon Tax Brackets