Did you know that Nunavut means “many fish” in Inuktitut? Well, then you may be from this remote Canadian territory!
Nunavut has a tax system similar to other Canadian provinces. Many of the provincial taxes and credits for residents of Nunavut compliment similar credits at the federal level, but there are some unique credits for residents of Nunavut.
Progressive Tax Rate Structure
As with most provinces, Nunavut uses a progressive tax structure. The tax brackets increase each year, based on inflation. Visit the government of Nunavut’s Personal Income Tax page for this year’s tax bracket rates.
Nunavut’s Tax Rates for Tax Year 2019
- 4.0%: first $45,414
- 7.0%: over $45,415 up to $90,829
- 9.0%: over $90,830 up to $147,667
- 11.5%: over $147,667
- Cost of living tax credit: Residents can claim a refundable tax credit up to $1,200 to offset the high cost of living in Nunavut.
- Cost of living supplement for single parents: Single parents with more than $60,000 in adjusted net income can claim a refundable tax credit of up to $255.12.
- Volunteer Firefighters Tax Credit: All full-time and part-time volunteer firefighters who complete at least 200 hours of community service, including training are eligible to claim a $586 non-refundable tax credit. This credit is indexed to inflation annually.
- Education and textbook tax credits: Full-time post-secondary students can deduct $465 per month they are in school from their taxable income. Part-time students can deduct $140 per month they are in school.
For more details, please click here.
TurboTax has been serving Canadians since 1993. It is the #1 selling tax preparation software across the country. We have a variety of product options to serve every individual’s needs. Recently added a LIVE service to enable our customers to have access to tax experts at the tip of your fingers. Go ahead and give it a try! Easy to use with a choice of support options to assist you with all your taxation needs.
References & Resources:
Provincial tax brackets
- Alberta Tax Brackets
- British Columbia Tax Brackets
- Manitoba Tax Brackets
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tax Brackets
- New Brunswick Tax Brackets
- Northwest Territories Tax Brackets
- Nova Scotia Tax Brackets
- Nunavut Tax Brackets
- Ontario Tax Brackets
- Prince Edward Island Tax Brackets
- Québec Tax Brackets
- Saskatchewan Tax Brackets
- Yukon Tax Brackets