CRA & Revenu Québec

Tax Tip: Are US Pensions Taxed to Canadian Citizens Living in Canada?


If you receive a pension from any foreign country, including the United States, you must include it in your Canadian tax return.

Due to the tax treaty between the two countries, you can deduct any U.S. taxes paid on your pension, as well as 15 percent of any U.S. Social Security benefits.

If you have been receiving U.S. Social Security benefits continuously since 1995, or if you are receiving death benefits for a spouse, you may be eligible for a 50 percent deduction.

To find out if you qualify, contact the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999.

References & Resources

Key Concepts

  • US pension Canada
  • Foreign pension taxes
  • Canada taxes US