With the deadline to file taxes in Canada quickly approaching, we thought it would be handy to share some important deadlines and last chance to claim credits with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Last chance to claim!
The 2016 tax year is the last year you can claim:
- Federal Education and Textbook Credits
- Public Transit Tax Credit
- Ontario Children’s Activity Tax Credit
For more information on which tax credits to deduct, the CRA’s website has a full list of last chance credits to claim.
What are some important tax dates that I should be aware of?
Important dates for the 2016 tax year:
- February 20, 2017: First day you can use the NETFILE service
- February 29, 2017: Your employer must send out your T4 slip by this date
- March 1, 2017: Deadline for contributing to your RRSP
- May 1, 2017: Your tax return must be submitted to the Canada Revenue Agency on or before this date
This year, April 30th falls on a Sunday. Did you know that the CRA considers your return to be on time if you file it on the next business day? That means this year you have until May 1st to file your tax return.
Why worry about taxes and the CRA when you can just use TurboTax?
Here’s what makes TurboTax so great for Canadians:
- It’s government (CRA) certified income tax software
- You get your refund fast! TurboTax helps you file online with the Canada Revenue Agency’s NETFILE service
- TurboTax is built using only government-approved forms and is up-to-date with the latest tax laws and CRA tax information
- Best of all? TurboTax is guaranteed 100% accurate