If seeing the northern lights is on your bucket list, then a trip to the Northwest Territories might be in your future. Residents of Northwest Territories get to enjoy northern lights nearly 250 days of the year!
Northwest Territories has a tax system similar to other Canadian provinces. Many of the provincial taxes and credits for residents of Northwest Territories compliment similar credits at the federal level, but there are some unique credits for residents of Northwest Territories.
Progressive Tax Rate Structure
As with most provinces, Northwest Territories uses a progressive tax structure. The tax brackets increase each year, based on inflation. Visit the CRA’s Northwest Territories page for this year’s tax bracket rates.
Northwest Territories’ Tax Brackets for Tax Year 2019
- 5.9% in the portion of taxable income that is $43,137 or less
- 8.6% on the portion over $43,137 up to $86,277
- 12.2% on the portion over $86,277 up to $140,267
- 14.05% on the portion of taxable income that is over $140,267
Northwest Territories Credits
- Cost of living tax credit: This credit helps offset the high cost of living in NWT. If the credit is more than you owe in taxes, you will get a refund for the difference. Learn more.
TurboTax has been serving Canadians since 1993. It is the #1 selling tax preparation software across the country. We have a variety of product options to serve every individual’s needs. Recently added a LIVE service to enable our customers to have access to tax experts at the tip of your fingers. Go ahead and give it a try! Easy to use with a choice of support options to assist you with all your taxation needs.
References & Resources:
Provincial tax brackets
- Alberta Tax Brackets
- British Columbia Tax Brackets
- Manitoba Tax Brackets
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tax Brackets
- New Brunswick Tax Brackets
- Northwest Territories Tax Brackets
- Nova Scotia Tax Brackets
- Nunavut Tax Brackets
- Ontario Tax Brackets
- Prince Edward Island Tax Brackets
- Québec Tax Brackets
- Saskatchewan Tax Brackets
- Yukon Tax Brackets
Looking for an income tax calculator for your province or territory?
- Alberta tax calculator
- British Columbia tax calculator
- Manitoba tax calculator
- New Brunswick tax calculator
- Newfoundland and Labrador tax calculator
- Nova Scotia tax calculator
- Ontario tax calculator
- Prince Edward Island tax calculator
- Quebec tax calculator
- Saskatchewan tax calculator
- Northwest Territories tax calculator
- Nunavut tax calculator
- Yukon tax calculator