If seeing the northern lights is on your bucket list, then a trip to the Northwest Territories might be in your future. Residents of Northwest Territories get to enjoy northern lights nearly 250 days of the year!
Northwest Territories has a tax system similar to other Canadian provinces. Many of the provincial taxes and credits for residents of Northwest Territories compliment similar credits at the federal level, but there are some unique credits for residents of Northwest Territories.
Progressive Tax Rate Structure
As with most provinces, Northwest Territories uses a progressive tax structure.
The tax brackets increase each year, based on inflation. Visit the CRA’s Northwest Territories page for this year’s tax bracket rates.
Northwest Territories’ Tax Brackets for Tax Year 2018
- 5.9%: $0 – $41,585
- 8.6%: $41,586 – $83,172
- 12.2%: $83,173 – $135,219
- 14.05%: $135,220
Northwest Territories Credits
- Cost of living tax credit: This credit helps offset the high cost of living in NWT. If the credit is more than you owe in taxes, you will get a refund for the difference. Learn more.
References & Resources:
Provincial tax brackets
- Alberta Tax Brackets
- British Columbia Tax Brackets
- Manitoba Tax Brackets
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tax Brackets
- New Brunswick Tax Brackets
- Northwest Territories Tax Brackets
- Nova Scotia Tax Brackets
- Nunavut Tax Brackets
- Ontario Tax Brackets
- Prince Edward Island Tax Brackets
- Québec Tax Brackets
- Saskatchewan Tax Brackets
- Yukon Tax Brackets