Tax filing for New to Canada

Stress-free tax filing for newcomers to Canada

Immigrants, new permanent residents, international students and people on work visas have a lot to navigate as new Canadians. Our tax experts understand the tax implications of coming to Canada and can do the work for you to guarantee you file your taxes right.

Asian father and baby on a computer -MOBILE-.png

What do newcomers to Canada need to know about filing taxes?

Your first year tax obligation

If you have a home, a spouse or common-law partner, or dependents in Canada, you are considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). This means you should file your taxes for the entire year or part of the tax year you’ve lived in Canada.

Asian couple and dog portrait with a home and marriage icon on the side -MOBILE-.png

The amount you are paying on your taxes

The amount you have to pay on your Canadian taxes depends on your total income, your deductions, and your family situation as well as what province you are in.

Get a free tax estimate by using our income tax calculator.

Young black man is looking at receipts with a tax expert super imposed doing work -MOBILE-.png

Tax filing deadlines

The tax filing deadline is April 30 of every year. If April 30 falls on a weekend, the CRA extends the deadline to the following business day. If you’re self-employed, the deadline is June 15th. Filing late will make you liable for penalties and interest on your amount owing for that tax year.

New parents with a baby sitting on a couch, with an expert saying _we help you report on-time_ -MOBILE-.png

Let a tax expert do the work for you with TurboTax Live Full Service



We’ll work with you to get the right information included in your tax return.



Our tax experts will answer your tax questions and explain their work to you.



Once we’ve done the work, we will review your tax return with you before we file on your behalf.

What people say about filing their taxes with us

“Absolute best service”

I had the absolute best service from TurboTax. It was easy to use and very quick and I learned so much from my personal tax expert assigned to me! I plan on using TurboTax for years to come, especially with it being free if you’re under 25! I’ve already been recommending TurboTax to all my friends.

Casey from London, ON

A customer looking to the right and a photo on another screen attached with a tax expert to a computer.

Includes reviews for TurboTax from previous years.

Tax tips for Newcomers to Canada from TurboTax Hub

Image Placeholder.png
September 26, 2022

Taxes for New Canadians: Step-by-Step Guide to Filing Your Tax Return

Image Placeholder (1).png
February 16, 2022

Who Is Required to File an Income Tax Return?

Image Placeholder (2).png
October 27, 2022

Tax Filing 2023: Your Guide for a Successful Tax Season

Image Placeholder (3).png
September 23, 2022

2023 Canada Tax Checklist: What Documents Do I Need to File My Taxes?

Questions and answers

Your tax obligations depend on your residency status. If you stay in Canada for 183 days or more in one tax year, you're a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes.

You are considered a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes when you’ve established significant residential ties such as:

1. establishing a home in Canada

2. a spouse or common-law partner in Canada

3. dependents in Canada

Newcomers to Canada can’t use NETFILE to file their first Canadian tax return.

However, when the CRA processes your first tax return, you’ll be able to file your taxes online through NETFILE every year afterwards.

As a new Canadian permanent resident, you will have to print and mail your first income tax return to the CRA.

A certified tax preparer can submit your tax return online on your behalf.

After the CRA has assessed your first return, you can register for CRA My Account to help keep track of your tax information in one convenient location.

Depending on your own tax situation and family structure, you may be eligible for a number of tax breaks. Possible credits & benefits for newcomers to Canada include:

1. Canada child benefit

2. Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit

3. Provincial and territorial benefits and credits

First time filing taxes in Canada? Let us do the work for you.

As a new Canadian, taxes can be stressful. Handoff your tax work to us and we’ll do it for you.