Getting Organized, Tools

Auto-fill my return: The Quick and Easy Way to Get Your Taxes Done Right

Auto-fill my return has revolutionized the way Canadians do their taxes. It helps you get a jumpstart on your taxes by enabling you to securely download your most up to date and accurate tax slips from the CRA then it automatically uploads the information right the proper spot in your return. You save time and frustration by not searching for your slips and entering box numbers.

How Does it Work?

Auto-fill my return gathers all of the available information in your CRA My Account and downloads it to your return. Info you can import includes:

  • T slips – T3, T4, T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4E, T4RIF, T4RSP, T5, T5007, T5008
  • Benefit slips like RC210, (WITB Advance Payments Statement)
  • RRSP contribution receipts
  • Unused amounts for tuition/education/textbook credits and past losses.

How Does the CRA Have My T4 if I Haven’t Filed My Taxes Yet?

The Canada Revenue Agency already has much of your current year tax information before you actually file your tax return. When a T slip is issued to you from an employer, a government agency, or other source such as your bank or RRSP provider, the issuer also sends a copy to the Canada Revenue Agency. These copies are assigned to your Social Insurance Number and are housed in your CRA My Account along with your previous tax returns, carryforward amounts, and other tax related data. When you submit your tax return, CRA then compares the information you’ve filed to the information in your CRA My Account.

Who Should Use Auto-fill my return?

Every Canadian taxpayer can get some sort of benefit from using Auto-fill my return, if not from the import of your data, then from registering for CRA My Account. If any of these questions apply to you, you should register for a CRA My Account:

  • Are you employed?
  • Do you receive any type of pension?
  • Have you received any type of government benefit this year? This includes Canada Child Benefit, GST/HST credit, Old Age Security, Working Income Tax Benefit, and/or Employment Insurance.
  • Have you moved this year?
  • Did you contribute to an RRSP?
  • Do you have unused tuition or losses from previous years?
  • Do you want know your TSFA limit? Or RRSP contribution limit?
  • Have you ever forgotten to include something on your tax return and had to file and adjustment?
  • Have you ever made a typo?

If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, you can benefit from registering for a CRA My Account. Change your address, check the dates and amounts of benefit payments, ensure the accuracy of your slip entries, view your RRSP contributions and limits, check on your refund status, make changes to previous returns – all instantly and securely online with your CRA My Account and Auto-fill my return.

How Do I Sign Up?

To use Auto-fill my return, all you need is a CRA My Account and to use a tax prep software like TurboTax. Canada’s #1 tax software, and has been trusted by millions of Canadians each year to get their taxes done right. With help available when you need it, and products tailored to meet your tax situation whether simple or complex, TurboTax gets you your maximum refund, guaranteed.