Many low and moderate-income Canadians need to file a tax return to access government benefits. In the past, many relied on in-person services to help them file their returns, but restrictions due to COVID have changed this—many community agencies are no longer providing one-on-one help.
That’s why we’re here to help!
We’ve partnered with Intuit Financial Freedom Foundation, WoodGreen Community Services, and Prosper Canada to provide access to assisted tax filing and teach vulnerable Canadians how to prepare their returns so that they can be more financially independent in the future.
If you have a simple tax return, we’ll give you the resources—tax software, support from trained volunteers, help with Notices of Assessment, responses to CRA letters and other how-to-videos and guides—to prepare your tax return.
We’ll also set up a time, 1:1 with one of our tax experts to answer any questions, help fill in any blanks, and review your return before you file.
How do you qualify for the program?
- You’re a Canadian living within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- Your annual income is $40K or less ($50K for a household of 2).
- You have access to a device connected to the internet.
- You have a desire to try filing your taxes yourself.
How does the program work?
- Sign up by calling WoodGreen’s do-it-yourself tax helpline at (416) 645-6000 ext. 2999.
- After gathering information and confirming your eligibility, WoodGreen will send you a link to the resources listed above, and also schedule a review call with an expert.
- You’ll complete as much (or as little) of your return as you can, then complete your return/files it during your expert review call.
When can you sign up?
Tax clinics run from March 8 – April 16, 2022, and May 3 – May 14, 2022. You can still call and schedule your appointment between April 17 and May 2, 2022.
For more information, go to the do-it-yourself tax helpline and sign up today!