What is Form RC66?

Form RC66 is the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) form you need to fill out if you intend to apply for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB), or the GST/HST tax credit for your child, when completing your tax return. Both benefits are covered with this single form.  You don’t need to complete this form if you apply online through your CRA My Account.

What is the Canada Child Benefit?

The Canada Child Benefit is a tax-free, monthly payment, which you or your spouse or common-law partner may receive, if you are raising a child under the age of 18. The benefit is intended to help families provide for their children. This universal childcare benefit may also be available to permanent residents and other non-citizens, who must use form RC66SCH in order to apply.

The amount of your monthly payment will depend on your net family income after your tax return is reviewed. The higher your income the less money you will receive. Also, you will get a certain amount for each child, and a child under the age of six is eligible for more money than older children.  Keep in mind that custodial arrangements will impact your benefit amount.

While you are considering tax benefits and credits for parents, may also wish to apply for the child disability benefit, or other provincial and territorial benefits and credits offered where you live. Or, try an automated benefits application with Turbo Tax.

How Do I Apply for the Canada Child Benefit?

Firstly, only the parent who is primarily responsible for the care of the child or children should apply for the Canada Child Benefit, as there is only one monthly payment per family. The spouse or common-law partner who does not apply for the benefit must sign the RC66 form to signal the information is accurate.

Sometimes, the parent who is primarily responsible for the care of the child or children will not make an income. However, they must still fill out a tax return in order to get benefit payments. The CRA simply needs to confirm that you did not make an income. While you may not make an income, your spouse or common-law partner’s income will still be accounted for when determining the amount of your Canada child tax benefit, which is the net adjusted family income.

In a shared custody situation, if you and your child’s other parent share custody approximately equally, you will share in the benefit equally. You do not need to sign each other’s forms. Plus, the government will divide the payments for you. If one parent has significantly more responsibility for the care and upbringing of the child, they receive the full benefit and the other parent will not.

You can apply for the Canada Child Benefit by filling out Form RC66 and attaching it to your tax return or you can apply online through your CRA My Account. Every year, you will need to reapply and fill out a tax return in order to continue getting the benefit; this will be done for you as you complete your return using any of the TurboTax solutions.

How Do I Fill Out Form RC66?

Form RC66 is a relatively straightforward tax form. To start, you will need to provide information about yourself including your social insurance number, marital status, and date of birth. You must also include information about your spouse or common-law partner.

Then, you need to fill out some information about your child or children including their name, date of birth, city and province or territory of birth. You must include the country if they were born outside of Canada. Your children do not need a social insurance number for you to be able to fill out this form

If you have more than four children, you will need to attach an additional form to list them. Use form RC66-1 for this purpose and make sure it is attached to form RC66.

Also, if you are in a shared custody situation, you will need to include the date when you began to share custody.

Lastly, you may need to provide supporting documents if your child is under a year old, began living with you mo11 months ago, you’re a newcomer to Canada, and in several other situations. The supporting documents include proof of birth and proof that you reside or resided in Canada. The form itself lists the acceptable documents you can provide.

What to Expect from the Canada Child Benefit?

Benefit payments are given out monthly, starting in July for the benefit year, based on the previous tax-year’s return. CBB benefits will end the next June, and if you are still eligible the next year’s benefits will begin in July. There’s no break in benefits, assuming you apply, qualify, and your children are still young enough to be eligible.