Forms & Schedules

T1-M Tax Form: Moving Expense Deductions in Canada

What is the T1-M tax form used for?

Under certain conditions, employees, the self-employed and students can claim moving tax deductions to recoup some of that money spent. To be able to claim them, you must be moving closer to your work by at least 40 km if you are employed or self-employed or to your educational institution if you are a student.

What kinds of expenses are allowed?

For example, you can get a tax deduction for moving expenses for costs like the transportation and storage of your household things, travelling from your old residence to the new residence, temporary living expenses near your new or your old residence, the cost of selling your old house and of buying the new one.

What if I moved several times in the year?

You have to fill out a separate T1-M Tax Form for each time you moved.