Basics, Child Tax

Tax Tip: Are Self-Employed Eligible For the Canada Child Benefit?

Tax credits paid through the Canada Child Benefit, or CCB, are based on your income and not its source, so even if you’re self-employed you may qualify. The benefit is paid to primary caregivers of a child under age 18 as long as one spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or has residency status. You can apply for the CCB by creating an online account with the Canada Revenue Agency, or by mailing in a CCB application.

Other credits which self-employed Canadians are entitled to claim because they are based on something other than the source of income, are  the GST/HST credit and the Climate Action Initiative credit.

For more information, please refer to the links below from the CRA:

CCB Payments

Climate Action Incentive

GST/HST Credit