Credits & Deductions

Tax Tip: How To Claim The Public Transit Deduction

If you take public transit and purchase a monthly or annual pass, you can claim a public transit tax deduction on your income tax return.

While the Public Transit amount was eliminated from the 2017 budget, you can still claim expenses for public transit passes you had from January 1st, 2017 to June 30th, 2017.

The Public Transit Amount can be claimed for many different modes of transportation, including buses, commuter trains and ferries. And weekly, monthly and annual passes are all eligible for the claim if they meet the relevant conditions.

If you claim the credit, be sure to keep a copy of your passes. You don’t need to submit your passes with your tax return but you should keep them in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks to see them later. If you’ve misplaced your pass, you can support your claim with credit card statement, cancelled cheques or receipts.