If your name has changed because of marriage, divorce or any other reason, it is important to update your tax files with the Canada Revenue Agency. This helps ensure that any benefits you may be entitled to will reach you without problems.

Although you can alter your marital status using your CRA My Account, you cannot issue a change of name through the online portal.

Instead, if you have changed only your first or last name, you must phone the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If both your first and last name have been changed, you will need to mail the CRA an official document showing the change, such as a name change certificate or a court order. You must also include a signed letter stating your old names, your new names and your social insurance number.