Self-employed expenses calculator

Maximize your tax savings by estimating your business expenses.

Enter the information below to calculate your Annual Taxable Income

Use the slider below to understand how your business expenses affect your taxes.

Estimated Expenses
Estimated Tax Savings

Not sure which expenses to deduct?

Common self-employed business expenses:

  • Office space rental
  • Business travel
  • Meals & entertainment
  • Mobile phone & accessories
  • Training courses
  • Association membership fees
  • Business equipment
  • Business licenses & permits
  • Office supplies
  • Marketing expenses
  • Accounting & legal fees
  • Car repairs & maintenance

All set to file your taxes? We’ve got your back.

Turbotax mobile app

Do your taxes with the TurboTax mobile app

Work on your tax return anytime, anywhere. TurboTax is available for Apple iOS and Google Android devices.

Frequently asked questions

Everything from office supplies to vehicle costs can be written off, providing the expense is related to your business, you have the supporting documentation and the expense is reasonable.

Learn more

It depends on your situation, but a good benchmark is to set aside 25% to 30% of your income earned to cover self-employed taxes including federal income tax, provincial income tax, and GST/HST sales tax.

CPP contributions from self-employment are based on the net income of your self-employment.

You make contributions only on your annual earnings between minimum and maximum amounts. These are called your pensionable earnings. The minimum amount is frozen at $3,500. In 2023, the CPP earnings ceiling is $66,600. The self-employed contribution rate on these pensionable earnings is 11.9%.

Self-employed workers do not have to pay EI premiums, unless you opt into the EI benefits for self-employed program.

Learn more

Yes. You can be an employee and an independent contractor (i.e. self-employed) at the same time. It’s very common to have more than one job, or do a side hustle along with your full-time employment.

To determine if you’re considered an employee or an independent contractor, it depends on the:
• nature of the work relationship
• level of control over who does the work
• ownership of tools and equipment
• opportunity of profit or risk of loss

Learn more

Side gigs, freelance work, and contract payments are all forms of income that need to be reported on your self-employed tax return. If you’re carrying on some form of business activity, report it—even if you’re not profitable yet.

To file your GST/HST return you need to take care of some things first including:
• registering for your GST or HST number
• selecting an accounting method
• confirming the due dates for your return

To do the calculations for your GST/HST return you need the following info:
• Total sales and other revenue
• Total tax you’ve collected
• Total tax you’ve paid
• Any other credits or debits

This info helps you calculate if you owe money to the CRA or if you will receive a refund.

To submit your GST/HST return to the CRA:
• You can file a paper return with the CRA. For this option, you need the GST34-2 filing information package.
• You can file online through GST/HST NETFILE or GST/HST TELEFILE. For this option, you’d need a GST/HST Access Code from the CRA.

If you choose to get your taxes done by a tax expert (through TurboTax Live Full Service Self-Employed), they’ll do your GST/HST return for free!

Learn more